Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Fresh and Easy


I noticed a sudden change of personality with Lukas when he turned 1.  One of the changes is that he's been picky with food and refuses to eat the normal meals I serve him so I've been changing it up with what I make for him.  At first I just instantly made him the comfort foods that I am used to like grilled cheese sandwiches and mac and cheese.  Then I realized, hey I can introduce him new food with healthy choices.  So I've been experimenting with new things.  I gave him polenta (which I'm going to have a separate post of) and last night I made him baked salmon over quinoa with edamame and tomatoes.  I am happy that he liked it cause I know that this is a healthy balanced meal that is full of fiber and proteins.

Baked Salmon over quinoa with edamame and tomatoes
For the Salmon:
About 1/4 - 1/2 of a pound of salmon cut lengthwise
1 lemon zest and juice
salt and pepper to taste
1 garlic grated
2-4 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
1/2 tsp of mustard

For Quinoa
1 cup of uncooked quinoa
2 cups of low sodium organic chicken stock
1/2 of cooked peeled edamame chopped (I chopped round edge food to make it a little less of a choking hazard)
2 medium size tomatoes chopped or you can use 1/4 of a cup of cherry tomatoes cut in halves


Combine lemon zest, juice, garlic, mustard, salt and pepper and slowly whisk in the olive oil.  Once all incorporated, place salmon in a small dish and pour the marinate over the salmon cover it and let it sit for an hour or so.

While salmon is marinating cook quinoa.  Pour quinoa and chicken stock into a saucepan.  Bring it up to boil cover the saucepan then let it simmer for 15 minutes.  Once cooked, fluff it up with a fork and add the edamame and tomatoes.  Cover again till served.

Bake the salmon for 20 to 25 minutes at 375 degree oven.



No comments:

Post a Comment