Monday, March 28, 2011

Date Day Anxiety

Hubby:  Don't worry hon, we will get you tea then you will feel better.
Me: What do you mean tea? I need alcohol at this point.

Yes, those were the words uttered as soon as I hopped in our car and left Lukas at my mom's house.  I had major separation anxiety. All the what if's ran rapidly in my brain as we drove off.  I have to say that I'm a proud 100% hands on mom that gets 0 help from anyone other than my husband.  I love being with my baby all the time even though i'm exhausted at the end of the day.  Mostly because I know the window of time that I get ALL of him is very short so I treasure every second with him.  And I don't know about you, but do you ever feel that every one else who would take care of him will get it wrong and that as a mom you are the only one who knows the best way to take care of him?  Part of me also thinks that Lukas will feel abandoned if I leave him with someone else.   But this past few months, I know that my whole world is centered around my son and I realized that my husband needs some time for us too, not only for our marriage but to also remind me that there's us in this life.   So, I pulled my big girl pants on and brave it through the morning while secretly counting the time that passed...

We were planning to go catch the first showing at the theatre but we decided that we need to do something more to feel connected so we ended up going to our favorite breakfast spot Cafe Borrone  and went for a walk downtown after.  I ended up having a good time!  We looked at cute little shops and ran into an awesome farmers market.  We bought a few things at the market and even though we were on a date we can't help but to go to a toy store and get Lukas something.

I bought this cards made from the moms of the little girls who sold it. All proceeds will help the victims of the recent tsunami tragedy in Japan.  
My husband bought me a bunch of lavender that I carried and smelled through out the day. Lavender always reminds me of our vacations in France.
 Most beautiful butter lettuce that I got for my mom as a thank you gift for taking care of Lukas
Cute little bracelet made by our local high school students.  Proceeds will help build a high school building in Uganda.

At the end of the day, I was happy we took the time for ourselves.  Lukas had a hard time at my mom's and looked for us the entire time but I now realized that giving him space and teaching him to be independent is essential to his growth.  I don't want him to be crying while were away and the only way I could make sure that it doesn't happen again is to get him used to the idea that although mommy and daddy are away, it will only be for a little bit and that we will come back.  I now know that not teaching him this type of independence and confidence is selfish and will impact him negatively. 

Although the date day was fun, I was excited to have him in my arms and read him the new book I got for him.  



No comments:

Post a Comment