Friday, March 25, 2011

Left over veggies

I was looking through my vegetable crisper and realized that I have few left over vegetables from previous meals I made over the week.  And for the sake of seeing them go to waste, I decided to make something out of it for Lukas.  I was really surprise on how it turned out because I was actually skeptical as I was making it because I haven't used this veggie combination before.  I am not a big fan of boiling things so instead of boiling the veggies before pureeing I decided to roast it to turn up the volume of the veggie flavor.  I call this Roasted sweet licorice because I used sweet potato and fennel that has that licorice taste and smell to it.  Here's the recipe..





Roasted "Sweet Licorice"


1 Head of Fennel cored and sliced into quarters
3 Yellow squash chopped in about 1/2 inch thickness
2 Medium size sweet potato peeled and chopped in 1/2 inch thickness
2 cups of water
1 tbsp or so of good olive oil
pinch of kosher salt (optional)


Preheat oven at 375 degrees


Place all veggies into a sheet tray, drizzle olive oil to coat all veggies and sprinkle a pinch of salt (you can skip this part). Place sheet tray in the oven and bake for 40 minutes. Once veggies are tender, transfer it to a food processor and puree. While the food processor is going, pour in water little by little until you get to the right consistency you prefer.  


The taste is really surprising and I was really happy that Lukas liked it too.  Try it, you'll be surprised.  

No comments:

Post a Comment