Friday, May 20, 2011

Gloria's Sweet Corn Soup

I called this soup Gloria's Sweet Corn soup because it is inspired by my grandma's corn soup she made for us when we were little kids when it's storming outside and the school is cancelled.  The smell of it brings me back those days.  I want to start making the same memories for Lukas so I am making my own version of soup for him.  It's a little bit more time consuming but it's so worth it.  Here's how I did it.

You will need: 2 Leeks (chopped)  4 sweet corn (grated) 2-3 sweet potatoes (peeled and cut lengthwise) and 3-4 cups of boiling water



Grate all corn and set aside

Put corn cobs to a big pot then pour boiling water into the pot completely submerging the cobs.  Add chopped leeks and sweet potatoes and bring to a boil.  Once boiling, turn the heat into medium level and let it simmer for 10 minutes or so.
After the soup has been simmering for 10 minutes, take the cobs out and discard. 

Then add the grated corn into the soup and stir.  Let it reduce for another 10-15 minutes or until the soup thickens - stir occasionally.  Take out few scoops of sweet potatoes and leeks and finely chop for texture, you may skip this part and continue on pureeing the soup with an immersion blender if your baby is younger or if you prefer a smoother version.  
For Lukas who is over 10 months old I plan to mix in cooked brown rice to this soup to add more texture for his palette.  Happy eating to you all!!

*Fun Fact about Leeks and the reason why I used this instead of an onion- 
A good source of dietary fiber, leeks also contain goodly amounts of folic acid, calcium, potassium, and vitamin C. Easier to digest than standard onions



No comments:

Post a Comment